Head of Operations
United Arab Emirates
Who we are
Pure Harvest Smart Farms is a UAE-based, high-tech agriculture start-up. We develop and operate high-tech, climate-controlled farms to grow a variety of crops and sell our products directly into the markets in which we operate. In early-2018 we successfully deployed our first-ever farm in Nahel, Al Ain growing a wide variety of flavourful tomatoes that “Taste Like They Should TM”. Our products are selling-out at major retailers in the UAE and are consumed at an assortment of elite restaurants & hotels. Our brand is associated with incredibly tasty produce and we are quickly building a loyal and vocal customer base. We are now expanding into new crops (strawberries and leafy greens) and into new geographies (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait). Technology, data, and innovation are core to our ethos, and we aim to redefine the Middle Eastern agricultural sector. We are passionate about what we do, and we are believers in the growth potential of the company. Our team is multi-cultural (American, European, African, Middle Eastern, South Asian), and our backgrounds diverse (horticulture, engineering, private equity, management consulting, retail, marketing, etc.). Never a boring day at Pure Harvest.
In recognition of regional vulnerabilities associated with food import dependence, water scarcity and sustainability, Pure Harvest is committed to resource efficiency and to overcoming climate challenges to affordably deliver premium quality fresh produce to the Middle East.
Who you are
We are looking for a dynamic person to help build a great organisation that is driven, motivated, and passionate about the industry and the positive impact the company can deliver in the region and beyond. You should be well versed and experienced in driving, building and steering people to deliver on company objectives. As a candidate we will be looking into how you have demonstrated your capabilities at a reputable organisation and the experience that you can build on within a fast-growing company like Pure Harvest.
Ideally you are a candidate that can be trusted, with a high standard in work ethics, that doesn’t shy away from challenging situations, and the ability to deliver high performance with minimal oversight. As a high trust organisation, we are looking for people that understand requirements fully, take ownership and deliver results at a high standard consistently, and as the person leading that culture, the ability to demonstrate that is essential.
Setting up operations in all locations
- Ensure the building designs are in line with the requirements of the service area
- Create and manage the playbook for setting up operations in different farms
- Ensure all the required materials for the service area (incl. office furniture, irrigation room etc.) is purchased in time for ensuring packing takes place as per plan
Own all operational KPI across the farms and report on the same
- Overall responsible for the packing as per customer requirements in line with the standards in the most efficient way
- Own the KPIs and performance management in the organization
- Drive awareness of the relevant targets and achievement of the same
Manage the complete farm related activities
- Responsible for managing the packhouse supervisors across the farms and across the locations
- Manage the inventory at the farm as well with the help of delivery and inventory incharge – ensure the inventory matches with the books and all entries are made in the system
Budget preparation, owning the budget and cascading the responsibility across operations
- Responsibility of budget preparation for all the functions across the famr
- Tracking of the budget and own the operations CAPEX project planning and improving the operations
Set up processes, ensure regular reporting and set targets
- Set up operations process across operations value chain from communicating orders, packing and communicating packing fulfilment and transport
- Ensure regular reporting of insightful data
- Set ambitious targets and support the organization to achieve them
- Highly ambitious - curious, resilient and a great communicator
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence at the highest level
- Must have great working proficiency in MS Office
- Must be able to make bold decisions and recommendation and have credibility to consultant with senior leaders
- Ability to understand key business drivers and commercial orientation
- Strategic Proficiency influencing/aligning strategy around talent capability and behaviours, collaborate and influence, provide team and change leadership.
- Execution- Deliver on what matters by getting the right things done
8-10 years of experience in a company known for operations excellence with good processes/ know how but that wishes to work in a dynamic start-up.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10+ years’ fresh fruit and vegetable experience
- Proven ability to interact and influence senior leaders
- Ability to successfully work under pressure and handle multiple highly sensitive issues and manage competing priorities
- Ability to manage people in the farm
- Ability to work on MS office applications
Please note before applying: our people define our success and we take hiring seriously. Interviewing with Pure Harvest may include video and phone interviews and/or off-site interviews. Though not required, we highly recommend that you submit a cover letter that outlines the key attributes of your candidacy & demonstrates that you understand and are qualified for this unique/ challenging role. Also, we complete both formal and informal reference checks for all hires. Please be prepared to submit references upon request.
Although we are unable to follow-up with each-and-every applicant, we do our absolute best to conduct a systematic hiring process for candidates with whom we identify a potential fit.